Sunday 14 February 2010

coffee, chicken nuggets and a pile of work

When you have a bucket load of work to do the smartest thing is to find a place you can work without interruption where there is an ample supply of coffee and maybe some yummy pastries. Now this sounds like a typical coffee house in Vienna somewhere so the last place you would ever expect to find me is McDonalds. However, that is where I happened to find myself today on a Sunday afternoon although this one did in fact have a McCafe which has the aforementioned amenities (Coffee and Pastries).
So there I was, sitting in McDonalds with my little sister: books, pens, a laptop and coffee cups strewn across the table and later on a box of chicken nuggets. Of course, sitting there with my sister, I didn't do any work and instead we spent about two hours chatting and gossiping (as usual).
Now the reason we happened to find ourselves in McDonalds is because my father is part of a group of people who lay out trails at different places in and around Vienna for everyone to follow at a run. So while my father was out running, my sister and I found the only place that was open where we could "work" and instead I decided to people watch.
We chose a table by the window and so I had a perfect view of people coming and going at around 3 in the afternoon on a Sunday. As I sat there I saw a whole host of different people eating, getting coffee, driving by etc. From the couple who entered and got a couple of coffee's and two little chocolate covered chocolate pieces of cake to go, to the - shall I say - large woman and her son who entered and then left with a bag of food; from the two guys seemingly trying to get over a very strong hangover with some food, to the tiny blonde with her yappy little dog who left with a happy meal, I saw them all come and go. All in all I would say I had a pretty interesting day that was well worth it and I hope to repeat it - perhaps in a different situation next time - as I like to see people walk by. Of course I should have been working but I think most would agree with me that my complete waste of time was far more fruitful. Anyway, tomorrow I am off to the slopes and I haven't been snowboarding in two years so it should be fun for people to watch me fall a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Vienna Waits for You. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator