Wednesday 17 February 2010

Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face.

Dave Barry once said "skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face" which is exactly how I spent my day on Monday (the knocking down trees with your face part). Although I spent the day falling on my ass because I was snowboarding, I had a lot of fun. I have always felt that part of the entire alpine experience is the awful "Schihütte Music" you hear at lunch and even passing by the huts on the slopes. It's just so bad that it becomes good and you actually end up liking it, at least I do. Then you have the food and beverages that are typical of Austrian ski huts. From Bernerwürstel to Schiwasser to a huge plate of fries to Glüwein (basically warm wine with some cinnamon added), everything you find is both tasty and filling - the perfect combination for some energy before you go out on the slopes again.
So anyway, back to the beginning. We started the day at 6:45 A.M. (god that's early) driving to the train station. Then after a two hour train ride we finally arrived in a tiny little train station in the middle of nowhere, covered with snow. Now I suppose even though we shouldn't have, we lied at the ticket office and said that I was 16 because the ski passes were so much cheaper that way. Then after a few hours of skiing and snowboarding, we stopped for lunch and dinned off of a typical menu - as I have already outlined above- and then set out for another couple of runs down the slopes. Then after a second break - during which I had a Glüwein and there was a mixture of coffees and hot chocolate also present on the table- and a few more runs we went back down to the bottom of the mountain and got on the train to go home. Of course the day then ended with a beer on the train and us recounting the funniest falls of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 Vienna Waits for You. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator